To My Union Family . . .

As I sit down to write this post I am keenly aware I am going out on the proverbial limb and venturing outside of my comfort zone. Nevertheless, I have the strong desire to share with my Union College family (although some know, numerous others do not) the journey I have been on for the last month and a half.

About six weeks ago I was "officially" diagnosed with breast cancer and a little over three weeks ago I had surgery. I won't go into all the details except to say I am so grateful to my Redeemer there is no evidence of disease in my nodes and the margins of the lumpectomy are clean. Radiation is definitely in my future with a decision about chemotherapy "riding" on the results of a genome test . . . a decision will be made in consultation with my oncologist this week.

Okay . . . so far, so good; I haven't erased this post yet.

I want the Union College community to know how humbled I am by the acts of kindness shown to me. There are two people in particular I want to thank: John Taylor and Kathy Smith. In the very early days after the diagnosis (when I was in shock), John "let" me fall apart. Those of you who know him well, know he doesn't try to "fix" how one is feeling . . . he simply accepts.

John has taken me to appointments in Knoxville, kept me company when I was waiting for the results of pathology, scans, etc. and he stayed with me for seven days straight after the surgery! [I was concerned what my neighbors might think, but quickly dismissed this as I have great neighbors who knew I needed help] To be sure, those seven days were a bit stressful for John but he was committed to helping me as I recovered. And to my recollection I only got " grouchy" twice!! This is my reality and I am sticking to it.

Another member of the Union College family who has been such a tremendous blessing to me is Kathy Smith. She is not only a great pianist/accompanist for the Union College Singers and Harmony, she is a wonderful friend. From the beginning, Kathy offered to help in anyway she could . . .and she meant it! She made several trips to Knoxville with me including the day of the surgery when she and John spent a long day keeping me company, praying with me and the surgeon, and waiting, waiting, waiting! Kathy also cooked and brought scrumptious food over once I got home (John already liked Kathy but was now enamored with her). She was also invaluable as she filled in for me with Singers, Harmony, and some voice lessons while I was out. I don't know what I would have done without her; I don't know what I would have done without John. I am grateful two of Union's finest are so selfless.

To be sure John and Kathy are not the only members of the Union family who supported me. If I tried to name everyone (and I really want to! ) I would no doubt unintentionally leave someone out. Nevertheless, my heart is warmed by the support I have felt from members of the administration, faculty, staff and the larger Barbourville community. I am thankful for the kind words, prayers, and the all important hugs I have received. Oh, and my students have been amazing . . . we have the cream of the crop here at Union. I am touched by their sweet gestures of support and patience as some knew. something was bothering me long before I was ready to share.

I am living a "new" reality now and although (thankfully) my prognosis is good, I am learning to live with a measure of uncertainty as it relates to my health. But, I remain grateful (beyond measure) to my Creator that I don't have to carry a heavier burden . . . there are many who are suffering a great deal more than I.

With love and affection to my Union family,
Virginia Gay

PS Although this post is meant to celebrate the Union College community, I can't sign off without thanking my family who loves me unconditionally.