"Contemplation: Panis Angelicus" Heinrich Lichner/Choral Arrangement, Virginia Gay Gandy


In an earlier post, I mentioned my trip to the University of South Carolina where I spent time in the music library looking through scores. I brought copies of several scores back with me and have begun making a choral arrangement of a piece entitled “Contemplation” by Heinrich Lichner. This etude for piano has a copyright date of 1913, which places it in the public domain and can therefore be adapted, arranged, edited, etc.  When one takes preexisting material and manipulates/modifies/changes it to make a new arrangement or setting it is called “music borrowing” and was  commonly practiced by great masters of music throughout the ages.

Even at first glance, I envisioned ways in which I could make a choral arrangement of this work. I began with the opening homophonic (chordal) passage from which I wanted to draw out the melody.  I “found” the melody, not in the top line, but primarily in an inner voice with an occasional “sweep” to the top line. Once I identified a theme (main melody) I could begin the process of setting it against an accompaniment.
For the opening accompaniment, I wanted to use broken chords to contrast against the linear pull of the unison voices.  I also set the opening passage in triple meter instead of the original quadruple.  It is tempting to continue an in-depth analysis of my work on the opening, but I will refrain and move onto the next section of the piece.

Following the homophonic opening of the original work, one discovers a long, soloistic passage played in the right hand with chords in the left. I went “around and around” with this passage – there were more than a few directions I could have gone.  But in the end, I wanted to retain the original soloistic line as accompaniment and in contrast to the vocal lines.  I set this long, linear line (with its running eighth notes) against the choir in two parts (SA/TB).   I also wanted the harmonic rhythm to pick up a bit and accomplished this by going back to the original quadruple meter.

While I was pleased with the arrangement, a crucial decision was yet to be made.  What text would I underlay to this music?  I couldn’t seem to settle on a text I felt was appropriate for the work (and frankly one that “spoke” to me).  I knew I wanted a text which stood the test of time as in the Magnificat, Te Deum, texts from the ordinary or proper of the Mass, etc.  I was looking to underlay a Latin text that would set a reflective mood. It also needed to work metrically with the music; the natural accents of the words must fall on accented beats in the music without “forcing” it, so to speak.  And then I came across “Panis Angelicus” a text I was very familiar with and to which I was naturally drawn.  Composers have set this text to music countless times through the centuries and I have sung Cesar Franck’s setting of this text many times.  Metrically it fell into place with only a few note value adjustments. Those who know me well are aware of my love for not only music, but also for the “marriage” of music to an inspiring, moving text.

I am gratified with this portion of the composition, though there may be some minor changes as I have my choirs sing through the work.  Thus far, I have completed the “A” section of this arrangement. One can view the entire work to be in A-B-A or ternary form (although one could also subdivide these sections further and come away with a different analysis).  Regardless, the portion I have completed is the “A” section of this overarching ternary form. The “B” section, with a return to the opening material (with modifications), is forthcoming.
I have entitled the work “Contemplation: Panis Angelicus” and have provided a link to view and listen to the score.  Keep in mind the sound generated is computerized piano, so the vocal/choral line will sound a bit “vacant” without the sustaining power, timbre, and color of the voices.

Naturally, I feel a bit "exposed" in opening it up for public view.  At the same time and in the same breath, I am eager to make it available for viewing/listening. To view and listen to the score, click on the link below. You will be directed to “Contemplation: Panis Angelicus” at noteflight.com. You may scroll down to view the score. To listen to the computer generated recording, go to the drop down menu above the manuscript – click on “play” and then “play from start”.
http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/a54f2abca8d09bf7eaeeb5d32ad176d5171e9540

Blessings,
Virginia Gay