A Trip Down Memory Lane.....


This past week I drove to Columbia, SC and got “all nostalgic” as I spent some time at the University of South Carolina's School of Music (where I received my doctorate).  One of the things I wanted to do was hangout at the music library and plunder through music manuscripts, collections, etc.  I was prepared to be inspired!

So there I was – upstairs amongst the racks of books and scores.  I pulled manuscripts from the racks and sat on the floor between the stacks with music all around me.  Now, I could have gone and sat at a table, but where is the fun in that!

Essentially, I was looking for music composed before 1923. Well, even if the music was composed before 1923, if it was part of a collection, the date of the collection also needed to be prior to 1923!  Most of you know where I am headed with this – I wanted music that was soundly in the public domain.  As I waded through the manuscripts and collections, I was drawn to a multi-volume collection of music for the piano.  As I turned the pages, I came across a piece called “Contemplation” by Heinrich Lichner. It didn't take long for me to see how it might be re-worked/arranged into a
choral work.  Once I got home, I noticed a long, linear line that is soloistic in nature.  So now this arrangement may very well be for choir and soprano solo. But, we’ll see what happens in the coming weeks as I work with not only the music, but also select and underlay a text.

Those who know me well would not be surprised to learn that even before I saw the music, I was taken by the title – “Contemplation.”  Indeed, the music is introspective, contemplative and even somewhat melancholy.  I confess, I have a melancholy streak– there are certain tonalities that strike a chord within me.  I find this to be true not only with music, but with the written word as well.
There are other intriguing pieces I brought back with me, but I’ll save that for another time.  

Blessings…
PS
 
First Presbyterian Church (Associate Reformed), Columbia, SC. I attended this church for a time while in Columbia. It is a majestic church with a rich history; but more importantly,
great preaching echoes within these walls.